Sunday, April 23, 2017

My Week in Review: 4/15/17-4/22/17


Last week was a pretty good reading week for me.  I found a couple of new to me authors that I enjoyed well enough to want to read more of their work as well as reading the next in the series from a few authors that I've enjoyed. 

Here they are:

Revolution, Volume 2 by Rachel Higginson
5 Stars*****


It’s not easy being a badass Zombie killer. But somebody’s got to do it.

Page Parker finally convinced her family to return to the former United States and fight the battle she’s been dying to finish.

She finally gets to hunt down the man she blames for so much evil and make him pay for his sins.

They just have to travel across jungles and barren wastelands and survive Mexico first.

When she finally reaches the Colony, she hopes to have all her family with her. She hopes Luke is who she remembers him to be. She hopes this war is everything she expects it to be.


But the thing about the end of the world? Nothing ever goes like it should.

Shifting Dreams by Elizabeth Hunter
4 Stars****


In Cambio Springs, everything--and everyone--changes.

Most days, widowed hawk shifter Jena Crowe cannot get a break. Work at her diner never ends, her two boys are bundles of energy, and she's pretty sure her oldest is about to turn into something furry or feathery.

Caleb Gilbert was looking for change, and the quiet desert town of Cambio Springs seemed like just the ticket for a more peaceful life. He never could have predicted just how crazy his new life would become.


When murder rocks their small community, Caleb and Jena will have to work together. And when Caleb isn't put off by any of Jena's usual defenses, she may be faced with the most frightening change of all: lowering the wall around her carefully guarded heart.

Soulfire by A. Blythe - 4 Stars****


The final book in the Magic Bullet series is here...

Alyse Winters never thought she could hack life as a human. With her friends by her side, though, she feels more powerful than ever before.

When a PAN asset turns up dead on her doorstep, it sets off a chain of events no one expects, least of all Alyse. She quickly realizes that the future, as well as the past, are not at all what they seem...

Fade by Daniel Hunphreys - 4 Stars****


SON OF A WITCH

Family drama is bad enough without adding magic and human sacrifice. Ten years ago, Paxton Locke’s mother killed his father in a mysterious ritual that – thankfully – went incomplete. Now, Paxton makes his living as a roving paranormal investigator, banishing spirits while Mother languishes in jail.

When a terrified ghost warns him of a dangerous, newly-freed entity, Paxton faces a fight far beyond simple exorcism. In a battle for his very soul, will he be able to endure – or simply fade away?

Magic Fire by Catherine Vale - 4 Stars****


Rogue gargoyle attacks aren’t exactly something I deal with every day, but it’s nothing I can’t handle. So why is this stranger insisting that I need to come with him to stay alive? Who does this guy think he is?

I’m a skilled fae with an arsenal of magic at my disposal. I sure as hell don’t need some cocky, arrogant dragon shifter protecting me, even if he is drop-dead gorgeous.

But what if I’m wrong?

A murderous Warlock is on the rampage, and he will not give up. Evil is reaching out to me, longing to bind me within its torturous grasp with monsters and mayhem around every corner.

The road to survival is marked with betrayal and deceit, some by the people I love the most.

If I want to survive, I must put my life in the hands of a cursed shifter—that is, if I make it through the night.

Scattered Seeds by Alice Sabo - 3 Stars***


While High Meadow is dealing with troublemakers and raiders, Wisp follows an invisible trail across the country to rescue Nick.

What had started as a simple trip turns into an undercover operation for Nick, leaving Wisp to return to High Meadow on his own with a van full of children. In the search for answers, Nick learns that the problems are more complex than he imagined. The country’s minimal infrastructure is teetering on the brink of collapse. And the people in charge are not at all what he’d hoped.

Angus predicts that the high mortality rate from the last round of flu could cause the disintegration of smaller settlements putting people on the road. With the train stations closed, there will be no food or shelter for these refugees, leaving them victim to marauders and starvation.

As Tillie scrambles to plan for a winter without train food, the influx of refugees is eating up precious supplies.

The world is changing again and they must adapt or die.

Heart of Stone by Leo Romero - 3 Stars***


I’m Gabriel Stone. Half human. Half angel. And poker-playing badass.

Thrown outta Heaven for gambling sins, I’m forced to hunt demons on Earth for a living. So when a fat bounty for a fire demon turns up at the Angel Guild, I’m straight on the case.

But this isn’t any regular fire demon. He’s already wasted two half-angel bounty hunters and zapped a bunch of Russian mafia shifters. Only a master in dark arts could’ve raised such a powerful entity and they must’ve had a damn good reason.

Maybe it’s got something to do with the siren I won in a card game; the one with the magical powers no regular siren should possess. She’s got this demon all worked up in his mission to raise Hell and it’s my job to stop him.

I hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew.

Cause if I have, Hell itself will come to Earth. And that would not be cool.

Calamity Rising by Z.V. Hunter - 3 Stars***


Dead bodies don’t scare me. They can’t curse me, lunge at me or do anything but rot and stink. It’s their spirits that are the problem. 

I’m Yukine Nox: necromancer, exorcist, dark mage, and the girl who’s gonna save your ass when spirits come knocking. I see between the veil that separates the world of the living from the Spirit World—a place full of ghosts and supernatural monsters called Calamities. 

On the surface, Neo-Tokyo sparkles like an ultramodern jewel, but its roots run deep and dark, tangled in magic. When a powerful Calamity snatches young girls and leaves a trail of angry ghosts in its wake, I take the case. But the more I dig, the more dangers pop-up.

If I don't stop this creature soon, it’ll drape Neo-Tokyo in a veil of death.

Agent of Enchantment by C. N. Crawford and Alex Rivers
3 Stars***


The fae live among us. And one of them is a serial killer.

I thought this would be a simple profiling case. Just another Jack-the-Ripper wannabe, prowling London’s streets, searching for easy kills. I was wrong. This killer is fae, and he’s as elusive as smoke on the wind. But I’m an FBI profiler, and it’s my job to track him down.

It doesn’t matter that one of the main suspects--a lethally alluring fae--is trying to seduce me… or kill me, I’m not sure which. I won’t be stopped, not even when panic roils through the streets of London, or when the police start to suspect me.

As I close in on the killer, I follow him to a magical shadow realm that’s like nothing I ever expected, where I’m hunted like prey. Fine. Bring it on. I’m an FBI Agent. And it turns out I have magical powers of my own.

Dark Waters by Shannon Mayer - 3 Stars***


Sisters bound by love, separated by blood. . .

And doomed to face the unimaginable.

An everyday vacation quickly turns into a nightmare of epic proportions. Two sisters must struggle to find the strength within themselves to survive as well as to save one another. When the world of Fae emerges on a rocky shore far from the Emerald Isle, all hell breaks loose.

Two factions vie for the sister’s loyalties, one light, the other dark. Neither honest.

So that's it for last week.  I am really looking forward to the books I have lined up for the next week.

And today, April 23, 2017 is:

   
Thanks for stopping by,
Michelle

No comments: